Whether you are craving a burger, a pizza or a simple bowl, the Daily Beet Burger recipe is a versatile base to create three different meals! The Italian Grand Slam Pizza is a homerun with everyone. Start with a wholesome, whole grain, oil-free pizza crust. (Our PLANTSTRONG PIZZA KIT can be delivered to your door!) Layer on the mushrooms and peppers, then – use the Daily Beet Burger recipe to make Italian style “meatballs” to pile on top of it all. Pickled cherry peppers and crushed red pepper give the perfect zing to this masterpiece. This recipe is a departure from your typical pizza—but it’s sure to be a new family favorite!
Get more recipes like this one in our free PLANTSTRONG Community.
Daily Beet Burgers
3 medium beets, peeled (use golden beets for a golden burger or a combo of golden and red beets for a more burger-like hue)
½ cup cooked red or black quinoa
½ cup cooked brown or red rice
1 tablespoon tamari
½ cup garbanzo bean flour
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon dry mustard
½ teaspoon savory (or thyme)
½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roast the beets for 30 minutes on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Remove from oven and allow beets to cool.
- After the beets have cooled…
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Using a box grater, coarsely grate the beets into a mixing bowl.
- Add the quinoa, rice, and tamari to the beets.
- In a separate bowl, combine the garbanzo bean flour, garlic powder, dry mustard, savory (or thyme), and black pepper.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until evenly mixed.
- Form patties with your hands—about 3½ inches in diameter.
- Sear the patties on both sides in a hot nonstick pan, about 3 to 5 minutes per side. If you use a grill pan, this will be long enough to get grill stripes on each side!
- Place the seared burgers on the lined sheet pan and bake: 10 minutes for thin burgers, 20 minutes for thicker burgers, or until firm.
- Serve with your favorite burger toppings. These pair exceptionally well with Dijon mustard.
Italian Grand Slam Pizza
Prepare the Daily Beet Burger recipe – setting aside some of the mix to make “meatballs” with the beet burger mix. Add a 2-4 cloves of minced garlic, 1-2 teaspoons basil, and 1-2 teaspoons of oregano to the mix and combine until well mixed. Form balls with the beet burger mix and heat them according to the beet burger recipe above.
To make the Italian Grand Slam Pizza You will need:
- 1 PLANTSTRONG Stonebaked Pizza Crust
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 8 brown mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup oil-free pasta sauce – to coat the “meatballs”
- 1/4 pickled hot peppers
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Spread one sauce packet evenly over the pizza crust. Layer sliced mushrooms, diced green peppers and pickled hot peppers over the sauce. Slice the beet “meatballs” in half and toss in a bowl with oil-free pasta sauce then add them to the pizza. Sprinkle with basil, oregano and garlic powder and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Beet Burger Bowl
Add the Daily Beet Burger to any bowl you are building. Shown here with steamed cauliflower, kale salad, avocado and dijon mustard. Crumble over salads or in wraps.